Guys, this recipe is scary good. It only took me about 5 tries to get the perfect recipe but seriously, so delicious. That’s coming from someone who doesn’t even love cinnamon. Or icing. I know, I know, how do I have a food blog again? The dough is so soft while still being sturdy & the icing made of cream cheese frosting, well lets just say I’ll be putting this on all my bagels from here on out.
The best part about this cake is it’s so easy to assemble. Typically with layered cakes they must be perfectly even & flat. Yet with this cake between the thick frosting layer in the middle & the structure of the cinnamon roll’s it is so easy to stack one on top of another. If I wasn’t so eager to try the cake maybe I would have made another layer or two to go on top!
- Over low heat, combine butter & milk in medium saucepan. Stir until the butter is liquid & then pour mixture into large mixing bowl.
- Let mixture cool for 5 minutes or until temperature of warm bath water. Add in yeast & let activate for 10 minutes.
- Add in 1 tbsp granulated sugar & salt. Stir.
- Add in flour 1 cup at a time while stirring.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface & knead for one minute. Place ball of dough into sprayed mixing bowl, cover with plastic wrap, & place in warm area to rise until doubled in size.
- On lightly floured surface, flatten dough until about ½ inch wide & ¼ inch thick.
- In mixing bowl, combine all filling ingredients & sprinkle onto dough.
- Roll dough into circular loose cinnamon roll shape & place in cake pan leaving about ½ inch from edge.
- Preheat oven to 350 F & bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Let cakes cool completely. In mixing bowl, combine all frosting ingredients with mixer. Assemble cakes one on top of the other with layers of frosting in between & drizzled on top. Enjoy!